Monday, January 26, 2009

Hmm...

So I was thinking yesterday/last night/this morning-I really have been leaving those of you that read this regularly in the dark somewhat. More so I mean I have been fairly vague in descriptions and most definitely lax in updates day to day.

Let's start from the top. Today in about an hour Scott and I will be testing Cancer Patient # 2. We are getting this opportunity to test the patient through a friend at the hospital. Our hope is to have these patients come in every 4 to 8 weeks to be tested to see if their function is improving. So basically, the test we do is a walking test with air analysis (aka VO2 test). We monitor BP(blood pressure), RPE(ratings of perceived exertion-mental tiredness), and HR(heart rate) in addition to what kind of air exchange they are yielding. Ideally, we would like to get reimbursed through their insurance companies for our time and lab fees.

In apartment news, I did a little bit of rearranging again. This time I just moved my bed the other direction. I have finally figured out what to do with the big mirror I brought. I just need a few cinder blocks now. In disappointing news, I had to reorder contacts for my eyes from Tarnoffs in Indiana and the lady in charge sent me my old prescription. So I am really ticked because not only did they take 3 weeks to get them to me, then they sent the wrong items, even after I told the lady on the phone that I wear the same kind in both eyes (I have astigmatism and therefore I wear a different kind than I used to). So, in the end I am upset because I already paid them a month ago and now I have completely useless contacts sitting in my bathroom. The lesson to be learned is to double check and listen carefully when taking orders or communicating with others.

In hockey news. I am playing in a competitive ice hockey league here. The first nice thing about it is that I literally walk out my apartment building turn right and walk about 3 short blocks and make a left and I'm at the rink. Couldn't ask for easier convenience. We play twice a week; Mondays and Wednesdays. The team is a mixture of 30, 40 and 50 year olds. I am probably 1 of 4 that are in their 20's.

In job search news I called today to the Colorado Springs recruiting office for the 2010 Census and I have an appointment for this Thursday to apply and take the placement/qualification exam here in Gunnison-so no traveling is required. The lady I spoke with on the phone seemed very pleasant and I think I have a good chance of being hired-possibly because of the area I live in. More to follow about that.

For those that I did not tell or that missed it the first time around, I am planning to run in a 25K trail race in May. I have been running either on my own or with Scott pretty religiously here and find breathing during such exercise easier with each time. Yesterday Scott and I ran 5 miles in 40 some minutes and around 4.2 miles on Saturday in 37 some minutes. I never was a big-time runner so it's slowly growing on me. I still prefer my strength workouts but running is a new escape and it's not as painful as it was when I first arrived.

That's all for now folks. I'll try to be back at you on Wednesday this week. I realize that of the 30+ people who are readers of this blog, that probably on 50% actually do read it. What can you do? I'm just glad about those who do read and follow along; thank you. Ttys (talk to you soon)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Al, are you following the "Crossfit Endurance" workouts? Interesting stuff going on over there. Really cutting out the long slow distance training in favor of more intense threshold work. Plus it requires you to do the main site WOD every day as well. Good luck with the interview.

Meggie said...

Or maybe more people read then you think. Glad to hear all is well hope the whole job outlook starts to look up soon.
Ps: You never wrote, meany.