Thursday, May 2, 2013

Questions I ponder

What is the meaning of life? What shall I do with it?

I cannot say I know the answer to that. I even, by random chance, watched part of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life last evening, and I still don't know (of course, if you've seen that film, then you know they do nothing to seriously address that question; instead, they only tickle the mind and soul with hearty, cheeky humor).

If I ask myself these questions today, does that mean I'll know tomorrow? Hmm, doubtfully I concede to an acceptable answer of "no."

Life has this way of revealing just enough to keep us moving, but not too much where we become planned to the T with what we are doing in our lives, today or tomorrow. I feel delighted to be thankful of this honest notion.

Now, in my late 20s I reflect on my early 20s; that period of life where I grew a lot as a person. I seem to look to one particular marker in the sand where my life took a turn for the better, still felt today to be true; even though at the time, life was as grim as I ever knew (read older post here).

I know, through time's gentle, assured passage that I am where I need to be. I believe that the things past have occurred because that was my path then - whether a path predetermined, or a path created by my actions in the earlier spaces of life. Indeed, what we reap is what we sow!

So, what shall I do with my life? What does life mean? Great questions. I still, 20 minutes later cannot answer those; nor do I really want to. I can, however, take the faith I've built - with the love and care from others - and fasten my love and attention in the moments here and now; my wonderful surroundings. Alive. Breathing. Loving.

Thank you for this; your presence in life is unmistakable.

Alan
Even if I could see, I do not wish to know.

No comments: